06 July 2008

kickin' off the heels

Starting tomorrow, our sanctuary ceiling is undergoing asbestos abatement. For the next two months, we will be worshiping in the fellowship hall while the ceiling is replaced. So, today we had to clean out the sanctuary. Following the service/picnic/band concert, staff and members lugged out the pew cushions, hymnals, Bibles, and chairs.

Not one to be left out, I kicked off my heels and worked right along side them all. One man from the choir yelled out, "Watch out, it's a country girl!" Another commented on how I was showing off my muscles.

Most of these people only see me on Sunday morning, where I'm dressed up and leading the kids. So it was fun for me to show the other side of me...the "country girl" who isn't afraid to get down and dirty with a little hard work.

How often are we afraid to get our hands dirty (both metaphorically and literally)? I get tired of the polished face we put on Christianity and the church - because following Jesus is anything but nice and put together. I love our respectful, traditional worship services...but it shouldn't end there. True worship - true faith - is lived out in the day to day, in the dirt and the mess and rubble of our lives.

Perhaps we all need some lessons in kicking off our heels in church.

No comments: