29 June 2008

God's will?

You know, we make a really big deal about following God's will. Doing what God wants us to do. Somewhere along the way in my childhood, I took the idea of the "straight and narrow" a bit too literally and interpreted God's will as being this one particular path. And if I were to make the wrong decision and stray from that path...only bad things would happen.

Naturally, this caused quite a bit of anxiety with my decision-making. And it can cause me to second guess things in my life, always wondering if I'm doing the right thing.

Theologically, I don't agree with that anymore. But that way of thinking is ingrained in my thinking, and still pops up on occasion.

I've had to learn that sometimes, my choices are between good and good. And God can work through either situation. I still need to practice discernment, but I don't need to become so anxious about my decisions.

This really makes me reconsider how I address things like this when teaching children and youth. Yes, following God is difficult. But many times we complicate the situations in our minds, second guessing and stressing too much over making the right decision, as though life is a multiple choice test that we can fail. Perhaps it's more of an essay, that we write continuously, learning and processing and developing things as we go...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've heard, and even used, a similar expression. "Most often our decision isn't between good and bad, but good and best."

However, sometimes the "best" isn't that easy to figure out. It really does seem to be between two equally "good" things.

I came to a similar conclusion to the whole matter while in college. But honestly, it is a lot easier to think than actually do. I still find myself worrying over stuff I have no business worrying about.

Finally, discerning God's will can be hard work...and I wonder if that is why so many of our church members never even try? Granted, God doesn't want to make it hard. But, he does want us to go beyond the "open/closed door" mentality that inundates our congregations. To really be able to discern his will in the immediate moment takes a familiarity with him. That is where we (I) fall down most of the time.

Tim