23 June 2008

job thoughts

So I'm back on the East Coast after my whirlwind vacation/conference in Memphis. It really was a fun time, and I got to see a variety of people. And I'm bursting with ideas for the children's ministry...

A struggle I've been having recently (well, really this entire year) is figuring out my place in my job. As the "ministry assistant," I don't have a lot of specific duties. Make the bulletins and newsletters, check. Help with kids stuff, check. And "other duties as assigned."

The thing is, it can vary from week to week. I have periods where I have so much responsibility and am doing so much! Then I have weeks when I feel like I'm just a secretary taking care of the crap no one else wants to do. I mean, I'm gaining a ton of experience and learning a lot from working with these guys, but I wish I could do more on the ministry side! I feel like I have so many great ideas, but I don't always feel like I have the freedom to take them on.

Here's some of the thoughts in my brain: I want to be a minister - and I am in some regards - but in many regards I'm not old enough - but who said age was important - I need to do my best regardless of where I am - but what if people just restrict me to that niche and don't give me a chance outside of it - but I don't want to take on more than I can handle and burn out - but I want to be taken seriously - but don't people already take me seriously?

I feel like I need to work on my humility. And patience. Ministry isn't about me. I've only been here 9 months. And I have two more years in seminary before I can even think about taking on something full-time. I just get impatient...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I remember being there. I'm not sure that the feeling ever changes...though it may take on some different incarnations. Once you feel(?) that you're old enough be to be doing all you think you should be capable of, you'll hit the "you're to old to understand." I already get this, and I'm only 34.

One thing I've found in ministry (hospital chaplaincy and pastoring a small church), you never get to implement whatever you want to do without some input from someone (usually a committee that has veto power over your idea). This has to be the worse part of ministry: You're responsible for everything, but you have very little power to directly influence those same things.

Welcome to the world of Priesthood of Believers.

Tim Dahl