20 January 2008

you've got to be kidding me

So last year I was out of the loop about this NFL ban on showing the Super Bowl (wait, am I allowed to call it that?) on big screens, specifically targeting churches who have parties. Now a lawyer wants to take them on by representing a church in the fight.

Excuse me while I rant about this for a bit.

What is the problem with a group of people getting together to watch the game? I confess that I don't know the intricacies of copyright laws, but how can a group of people watching the game on a projector or large TV cause any harm? It's not like the NFL is losing any money. In fact, many of those people probably wouldn't even watch the game on their own (like me). The advertisers have already paid their money, so it's not like they charge by the number of TVs used.

Apparently, there's also copyright issues over using the term "Super Bowl." Honestly...who cares? Why is the NFL being so possessive over this? If you ask me, the quality of the game (and many of the advertisements) has gone down drastically over the past years, and all this hubbub makes me less and less likely to watch it. Are they concerned about people losing interest and feel a need to affirm their claim on the event?

And seriously...there is a disproportionate amount of money funneled into professional sports as it is. That's the real reason I can't get into them - it makes me sick to know what those people are paid to play. Yes, some of them do use their fame and wealth to help other causes. But still...is it necessary?

It's a ridiculous law. But I'm not even sure it's worth the fight to overturn...

1 comment:

Joe said...

What you should really rant over is the fact that some churches are charging people to attend their parties. Not just the $3 for pizza.

Joe