19 January 2008

asking for help

If you know me, I tend to be a pretty independent person, not asking for help. I don't want to bother people...and would they really want to help me? But I've been pleasantly surprised recently...

I've been trying to figure out how to convert a file to pdf so I can send it to my new friends in El Salvador. But everything I tried wouldn't work. So this morning, I put up a message on Facebook that I needed help - maybe 5 hours ago? And since then, I have received two messages and one phone call in response, offering me suggestions about software to download, etc.

It's a good feeling to know that people are watching out for me.

This play is another thing. I'm waaaay out of my comfort zone. Write a paper? No problem. Take a test? Sure. Translate some Hebrew? Bring it on. Act and sing on stage? ummmmm....

Yet it's something I want to do. And I'm trying hard. But I don't have the natural ability on stage that many others do. So I've gotten together with people, asking for help and suggestions about how to improve. And I've gotten nothing but encouragement and support. (Which I guess is fitting, since Godspell is centered around how Jesus brings a group of people together into this community, and how that community grows and reacts to everything that happens).

There really is something to this whole community thing. At camp, it was community that helped lift me up and respect myself again. And now, it is community that is helping me grow and improve, giving me the push and confidence that I need.

No comments: