07 January 2008

oh politics

The buzz on all the news networks right now is the NH primary and what the candidates are doing in the final hours. But in particular, I've heard multiple times how Hillary almost cried when talking to the press. I'm wondering if there's a double standard for women in the presidential race. Many have commented about how she comes across as cold and tough, perhaps because she feels the need to prove her strength in a realm that has been dominated by men. Softness could be interpreted as weakness. But then she shows a bit of softer emotion, and the networks jump all over it. Will that now be stressed by others as a sign that she is unfit for the pressures of the presidency? Is it not unfair for women to be seen either as unfeeling or as overly emotional, with no allowance for a mixture of the two?

For the record, I'm undecided when it comes to Hillary as to whether I think she is the best candidate. And I would like to see a woman as president, though I don't know if I would want it to be her. But I must say that I respect her determination and endurance through the pressure of a tough campaign, fighting for something that she wants. It will be interesting to see how these campaigns progress. (Hmmm, I'm actually paying attention to politics for once!)

No comments: