13 January 2008

homesickness

It's interesting. It's been a little over 5 months since I returned from South Africa. I've settled into my life here, am slowly building relationships, and feel somewhat at home. The memories are always popping up, and I'm sure my friends are sick of hearing, "when I was in SA..."

But every now and then, out of nowhere, I'm hit with an overpowering wave of homesickness for that place, those people. And I know, I know, this is where God has called me to be, for some reasons I see and others that have yet to be revealed. Yet I can't help but let my mind drift back over that ocean and wonder...

"I was afflicted with Africa like a bout of a rare disease, from which I have not managed a full recovery." - Barbara Kingsolver, The Poisonwood Bible
(Thanks to my dear friend for sharing this quote with me)

Truth is? I don't want to "recover"...

No comments: