05 January 2008

El Salvador and weddings

For one week, I had the opportunity to travel with a team from my church to El Salvador. We are building a partnership with an amazing church community down there, a church with a missions focus that puts most American churches to shame. They help run livestock projects that give poor rural families an income and a way to give back to the community around them. We watched one family receive her new chickens to raise, a life-changing moment for her, and it was moving. The pastor of this church is a lively woman (yes, a woman pastor! woohoo!) with a big heart and a sweet spirit. And yes, I rang in the new year with dancing and tons of fireworks. It was an awesome experience, and I'm very excited about the future of this partnership. We have a lot to learn from these people! Their love, hospitality, dedication, concern for others...it blew me away. And their openness to the Holy Spirit was amazing. When they sang, they sang with their whole hearts...most were in the wrong key or on the wrong beat, but that didn't matter. And when they prayed, they prayed. They have such joy and hope, even in the midst of a troubled government and widespread poverty. I'm very excited about continuing this relationship, and even more so about emailing back and forth with a few church members. And I'm looking forward to returning next fall for another trip. My love for other countries and cultures has deepened again.

In other news...two of my college friends got engaged this week, bringing the married/engaged count within our group to 5. *cue "Another One Bites the Dust"* Just kidding...though I was surprised by the timing (mainly because I forgot that this is the time of year when people love to pop the question), I'm genuinely happy for them both. And hey, weddings = mini-reunions, a plus when you and your friends no longer live in the same city!

No comments: