08 November 2008

grief

Grief is a foreign concept for me. I recognize that people grieve, and have experienced loss of different kinds in my life. But I've never had to face the death of someone I was close to.

My boyfriend's grandmother passed away Thursday morning, suddenly. He is grieving. And I am grieving with him.

It's odd, to grieve for someone you never met. Yet he was so close to her, and I am so close to him, that I am grieving...for him, and with him. I feel guilty to insert my emotions into the situation...but I can't help it.

After a mini-breakdown in class, I had a long talk with my favorite professor. He talked about how the mind and brain are two different things and how we can't figure out the connection between the two. Many things that I don't remember, but it was comforting in some way. And at the end, he said, "Let yourself cry. Let yourself feel. It's okay."

Words I needed to hear.

No comments: