08 September 2007

faith like a child?

I am constantly in awe of small children. Their ability to pick up language, their perception of the world around them. How quickly they learn! They seem to constantly be in a state of wonder, of discovery, of invention. Learning to walk, to touch, to identify the things around them. How does their brain process it all? What are they thinking? I can only wonder...

When do we lose that perspective? When does the world suddenly become old, boring? When we're told to have faith like a child, does it include this spirit? I think so...I hope so. Encountering each day, each moment, each experience with God, as one of discovery, with a childlike sense of reverence at something so much bigger than we can ever fully comprehend.

Sometimes, when encountering the menial day-to-day tasks and fighting over the complex theologies, I forget this. I forget the wonder that belongs in a relationship with God, that should be a part of my life. The joy of experiencing God's blessings, of being able to serve others as a part of that commitment...why do I lose that?

No comments: