27 July 2008

recap from the week...

I had several moments this week that I wanted to blog about...but haven't been motivated to do so until now. So here's a glance at the past week...
**********************
Last Sunday I preached at a small church plant in my college town. I'm good friends with the pastor; he's taking some time off to recover from surgery. I talked about Jacob's ladder, and made a few passing comments about the stone with oil that Jacob set up after his encounter with God.

Later in the service, the pastor's 6-year-old son came up to me, pointed to the communion supplies (a loaf of bread and cup of juice), and whispered, "The bread can be the stone, and the juice can be the oil!" I'm sure there's something theologically deep in that statement...but how precious that he picked up on that.
**********************
Tuesday I spent the day with the middle schoolers at a local theme park. It was so much fun to just run around the park with them; they were thrilled about the fact that I would ride all the rides. A few even specially requested that I sit next to them. And I got a glimpse at what relational ministry is all about...hopefully my job will allow for more of that. :o)
**********************
Wednesday the boyfriend and I went to the "Jesus for President" Tour, led by Shane Claiborne and his friends. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a really cool experience. Thought-provoking, fun, and very memorable. Boyfriend was blown away. Good times all around.
**********************
And this morning I preached at my old church, where I attended since I was 5. The pastor is in Europe for the BWA Youth conference, so he called me in to preach. I was a bit nervous about preaching where I grew up (because who takes you seriously in your hometown?). I think the sermon went well at both services; it's a bit more challenging than some people might have expected. I got a lot of "We're so proud of you" and "Great job" comments; part of me wonders if they were referring to the sermon itself, or just amused by the fact that their "little girl" is all grown up and preaching. But a few people did say some heart-felt things.

It's a bit selfish, really, wanting good feedback from a sermon. I want to know it reached people; I want to know it made a difference; I want the credit. Very selfish. We're not called to preach for our own glory, but for God's. Yet at the same time, as a growing minister and someone who doesn't have a lot of experience, that feedback means a lot to me to know if I am following the right path.

Did my sermon touch anyone? Will it make a difference? I may never know. But I preached what I felt led to preach, and I have to be satisfied with that.

No comments: