11 May 2008

race thoughts

Yesterday was the annual Race for the Cure in Richmond. And for the first time, I ran in it. Yes, I ran a 5K. There were so many great things about it...

First, the actual running. It was so much fun to be out there with over 9000 other people, running and walking and all headed in the same direction. My friend Kate drove down to run with me, and it was great fun. At the 2.5 mark, the course turned into a half-mile hill...upwards, of course. I run in a flat neighborhood, and was not prepared for that at all. Halfway up the hill, I didn't think I would make it to the end without stopping (my goal for the race). I told Kate to go on without me, and she refused, telling me to keep running. And we kept running...straight to the finish line.

It was so nice to have that support, the encouragement to keep on going. Suddenly, all those passages in the Bible about running and races make more sense to me. I can understand the metaphors much more.

I also loved being a part of a greater cause with everyone else. Yes, we were all running, but it was all for breast cancer research. So many people were there in support of those who are fighting this disease, or in memory of those who have died from it. And though we can't cure it ourselves, we can stand there with those who have had to deal with it and be a support and encouragement for them.

No comments: