20 March 2008

Maundy Thursday

Tonight was one of the most stressful moments of my job thus far.

We had our Maundy Thursday service, and I found myself playing a huge role in it. Wearing a robe. Processing in with the ministers. Praying. Serving communion (first time for me ever). Reading scripture. Extinguishing candles. Singing a solo (my first total solo since elementary school).

I forget sometimes that I'm only 22. At school and at work, I'm around people older than me, so I start to equate myself with them. But there are elements of experience that I just don't have yet, because I am so young. And I forget that, until random moments like today remind me of my young age and inexperience.

At some point right before the service started, it all hit me. The seriousness of everything that I was doing (and the seriousness of the service itself). A lot of personal firsts, all thrown into one service. So I was a bundle of nerves the entire time, which made my solo a little weak.

I got through it, and it went well, other than the weak solo. But still...it was stressful. Hopefully this stuff gets easier with time...because if I end up in church ministry, I'll be doing stuff like this a lot more often...

No comments: