05 December 2007

conversations and chapel

Yesterday, I was sitting in the lounge with a few friends, waiting to go to chapel. A few minutes before we were going to leave, a fellow classmate came in and started a conversation with us. She's a bit more conservative than we are, but she was open and willing to discuss that with us. The conversation turned towards homosexuality, and we were all able to openly and honestly express our views (or current formation of views) within that group. It was a great conversation, and while there was no agreement among us as a whole, there was respect for the opinions of others. Clearly, we didn't go to chapel.

As the conversation turned towards lighter things, a group of students came in from chapel with decorations. I could see the look in their eyes when they realized we had been there during chapel time. We asked where the things came from, and one replied, "Well, if you had been in chapel..." Honestly, I didn't appreciate the attempt at a guilt trip, and we all said that we were caught up in a great conversation. I don't want to undermine chapel, but community can be built from more than that, and to try and make people feel bad about not going isn't right. People have their own reasons for going or not going, and it's not for anyone to judge. I'm sure chapel yesterday was a great experience, but for my friends and I, we made the right choice in continuing that conversation, helping build a relationship and opening doors for more. I was encouraged by our classmate's willingness to listen to our (more moderate/liberal) views, and her honesty about how she's been challenged here in her way of thinking. I hope more conversations are in our future!

No comments: